Friday, October 19, 2012

Bittersweet Running

I remembered this morning... I remembered the reason why I sweat through all those miserably hot Florida summer months of humidity, thunderstorms and mosquitos. Why I wake at 4am to ensure I can get through it without dropping dead from heat exhaustion and the sun burning a hole through me. I run.

I run through the hard times because without those, you can't possibly fathom the sheer excitement of running through the exhilarating times. I run.
 
Without being in great running shape, this feeling of meditation would go unnoticed because you dwell on the fact that your lungs are burning and your legs are tired etc. etc. etc... I encourage all new runners not to give up during those hard times. The times when you have absolutely no desire to go outdoors. If you can make it through, the payoff in the fall and winter seasons will be that much sweeter! Run.

This morning... we woke up in the North Georgia mountains. Blairsville to be exact. The weather was a cool and crisp 41 degrees with 15mph winds. The leaves were falling on my nose. Yellow, auburn, brown, golden and fiery red. We ran.

Up the winding mountain roads, over top rickety bridges with running creeks, past cow patures and maple tree lined streets. I felt as though I could go forever... I attribute this feeling 100% to all of those dreaded Florida summer runs. Keep running.

If you're new to running, I encourage you to keep going when those days are tough. Without those, you will never know the true joy running can deliver.

Run.
Blairsville, Ga  Fall 2012

 

1 comment:

  1. I want to jump in my car, drive up to Georgia or the Carolina's and RUN!!! You make it sound delicious! Love the Post! Keep running my friends!!

    ReplyDelete